Good day to you again, my fellow readers! Well, the time has marched on and I have once again found myself at the end of another sprint and you know what that means; time for another sprint retrospective.
This sprint has been a bit slower than the previous sprint was. With the trials and tribulations of relearning or learning angular (in the case of some of our group members) behind us, many members of the group were able to excel and start knocking items off the backlog. With each item off the backlog, my teammates were even able to add on extra features and improvements. Content for the left navigational bar was established and each was given an appropriate button. We then added submenu buttons, for items that belong under a certain category and not on their own. A home button was added to take the user back to the main screen, return from the left navigational bar and close it. Many aesthetic changes were made as well. Buttons were moved, spaced out more, colors were changed to make it more aesthetically appealing and less harsh on the eyes, the font size was increased for better readability, and the text that confirmed a button press was moved to be centered on the page. The latter was simply for testing purposes so that button presses could be confirmed that a button press would actually register and change to the appropriate page.
On the last day of the sprint, our manager/professor informed us that another team working on the search bar function for the AMPATH application wanted to push their work to the Github repository and we needed to push our work as well because we had made a base application in addition to making the left navigational bar. As one could expect, there was a problem. The issue was that our group had made a repository and were not working off of the branch we had created. Now, this may not seem like a problem however, the repository we made was not on Github, but in Gitlab! Remembering the Git lessons I had just had earlier in the day, I suggested simply setting a remote upstream to the branch in the main Github repository from our Gitlab repository. We could then simply push from out Gitlab repository to the Github repository and all would be well. With approval from the professor, I made sure to pull all changes from my team members, set the remote and attempted the push. Error. Of course, things can’t be easy. The error was a permissions error that would not allow the push if I remember correctly. After conferring with the professor again, he determined that the best course forward would be to simply copy over the needed files and make changes where needed to other files and push those changes to the branch. Then request a merge with the master branch to make the changes available to the teams that needed them. This was not terribly fun as while some files could be copy-pasted in, there were many files that I had to manually edit and add in lines that we had added. Before attempting a push, I made sure that the application actually ran, which it did after installing npm. After pulling all changes and completing the manual edits, I attempted to push the changes. Error. I was missing files from the master branch. I pulled from master and tried again; same error. I wasn’t sure what was going on as I had just pulled and there were no updates. I pulled again to receive a no changes message. This had stumped me. This left me with only one option, sleep on it. After waking up, I came back to the issue and had a random thought to pull from the branch, and it worked. When I went and attempted the push, I had one more error, but that was because I forgot to check the master for updates. One final pull from master and I had done it. I was able to successfully push to the branch. To end this saga, I made a pull request to merge our branch into the master branch. That saga was great practice with Git and solving its many errors.
That’s it, readers. Another sprint comes to a close. We have only about one or two more sprints left so the time we have left is quickly coming to a close. Until next time readers!